Yes, we also like LISTS! Especially when it comes to café racer bikes. So here’s a list of the 17 best café racer bikes you can grab for building a café racer.
Please note: this is a list of vintage motorcycles, because we like the old timers best:
- All Honda CB-series from the 70’s – 80’s (four, SOHC): CB750, CB550, CB500, CB400, CB350
- Honda CX-series from the late 70’s to mid 80’s (including GL500)
- Yamaha XV-series from the 80’s: XV535, XV750, XV920
- BMW R-series from the late 60’s to 80’s; R60,R75. R80, R100
- Suzuki Savage (check out Rycamotors)
- Triump Bonneville
- Royal Enfield
- Moto Guzzi (Le mans, V-series)
- Triumph Thruxton
- Norton Commando
- Kawasaki W800
- Yamaha XS650
- Suzuki GS-series
- Kawasaki K-series
- Yamaha SR400/SR500
- Honda CB T-series (2 cylinders)
- Got money? Take a look at classic Ducati’s, BSA’s, Vincents ($$$).
As you can see, the Honda CB-series dominate this list. Why? Because there are tons of them, they are reliable, quitte powerfull, have great proportions, are affordable and there is so many information to find that every problem you can think of, is already solved. And last but not least: there are A LOT of aftermarket products to buy.
Is that all??
No, because in fact everything with two wheels and an engine in between will do, because with some imagination you can turn any bike into a café racer! But if you’re missing a bike on this list which need to be named? Let us know! ;)
Also check this more in-dept post about picking a base bike for your café racer project.
Got your base bike? Then make sure you have a Café Racer Building Plan!